The Program of Action for Equality and Social Inclusion -Paiis- was founded in 2007 as one of the public interest law clinics of the University of Los Andes Law School.
The Action for Equality and Social Inclusion Program (PAIIS for its acronym in Spanish) was set up in 2007 as a public interest law clinic: part of the Faculty of Law at the Universidad de los Andes. Its purpose was to generate knowledge and legal and political advocacy to make progress on issues relating to human rights, equality, and the social inclusion of people who belong to historically marginalized groups.
Paiis is currently taking measures to help groups and people who are discriminated against because of their handicap, age, sexual orientation, and gender identity, or those who have been affected by the armed conflict.
The Program carries out its work through six different lines of action:
· Education in rights
· Technical support in design and implementation of public policies
· Strategic litigation and direct representation
· Socio-Legal research
· Training in public interest legal practice for law students
- Development of teaching tools to carry out public interest law based in the community
This work looks to empower citizens so they know and use:
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in order to create a more equal society.
- The diverse local and international instruments in order to ensure equality in Colombia.
Donar a PAIIS