Library system: more than 500,000 books available
How do you: reference a document, find information, identify the most relevant authors in the research area, detect if a document has committed plagiarism, find out about what journals there is more chance of publishing an article in? These are all fundamental questions for undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral students; alumni; and teaching and administrative staff. The library system at the Universidad de los Andes offers a permanent support system.
According to Angela María Mejía, director of the university’s Library System, while supporting undergraduate students focuses on learning spaces and helping by providing books for study, post-graduate students receive help with researching and publishingtheir documents. Alumnican borrow books and access electronic resources. Teaching staff can access resources for their classes and support their students, and the university’s administrative staff can access information for accreditation processes and their families.
The university’s Library System offers five free training modules that can be taken on an individual or group basis on the following topics: 1. Familiarization with the Library System(to find out about the main services the Library System offers). 2. Searching for information strategies(to find out how to access quality information by using a Catalogueand specialized data bases). 3. References and bibliography generators(to learn to cite and reference correctly using Mendeley. 4. Tools to measure scientific productivity(to identify the authors, journals, and documents that have had the greatest impact on the research community), and 5. Writing, sending, and publishing(to receive tips about publishing a document and improving visibility on the Internet).
Anyone interested in enrolling on one of the courses can fill out this online form.
During the first semester in 2018, more than 1,500 members of the Uniandes communitylearned how to access quality information, and more than 900 learned how to cite and reference using Mendeley.
Researchers and doctoral students can access different services, content, and tools that support their work.
- Researcher’s profile:Find information about the importance of standardizing your affiliation and name in the different information sources.
- Tools to evaluate scientific productivity:Find out about the main characteristics of having an account when measuring scientific productivity.
- Impact Indexes: Discover the main impact indexes that allow the quality of research production to be evaluated using indicators that provide insights into the levels of production, citation, and visibility of documents, authors, institutions, and countries.
- Publication guidance: Identify key factors for successful publication of academic work or research.
- Publication ethics:Find out information about withdrawals, plagiarism in the university, and other recommendations.
- Searching for documents: Using the library’s Alert Servicewill help you look for and select the best information for academic and research projects.
In the first semester of 2018, more than 120 teachers and post-graduate studentswere helped with publishing research and the evaluation of science.
For more information: Sistema de Bibliotecas Edificio Mario Laserna, second floor. PBX 3394949 Ext 3322.